You ask why is it summer worthy – cause it includes, whites, stripes, and cool colors! And what not is to be loved?
Personal note -One of my favorite brands is Tommy Hilfiger (cause they make the best nautical pieces).
Key Colors –
The most important nautical colors are navy, white, and red-orange. These three colors are notably nautical, and when paired together, the look will be unmistakable. Denim can also have a nautical feel!
The nautical trend is all about stripes and structure. When done properly, stripes can look absolutely fantastic.
- Horizontal stripes can be a bit tricky, so for wider gals, go for a vertical stripe.
- If choosing to wear horizontal stripes, go for a narrow to medium thickness stripe. Too thick of stripes will not only make you look thicker, but super out-dated.
- With patterns, try to create some balance for a streamlined sailor look: if you’re wearing a striped shirt, wear a solid bottom.
- Afraid of stripes? Don’t be! The thin, horizontal variety are slimming.
- When wearing wider stripes, try to define your shape with a belt or, try a boyfriend blazer to hint at the trend and highlight your fashion sense!
- Also keep in mind your own body frame. If you’re petite go with a thinner stripe.
- Lastly, don’t go stripes crazy. If there are stripes on your shirt, do not do a striped pant, jacket and shoes!
Anchors and Sailor Pants –
- For nautical outfits this season, you will see anchors and sailor pants everywhere.
- Sailor pants are universally flattering and completely elongate the legs!
- The little buttons are adorable without being too costume-y.
Nautical Accessories –
For accessories, chunky gold jewelry, anything with ropes or knots, anchor accents, and bucket hats are what you should be looking for!
The beautiful blue, cream, gold and red colors with the great structural touch makes these shoes to die for! Try some flats, espadrilles, wedges or heels! Flat sneakers like Sperry, Toms or Keds maintain a nautical edge. Espadrilles are a cute (and trendy!) option, too!
A good, simple way to add a nautical element to an outfit without going overboard is to keep the rest of the outfit simple. You can still have a nautical outfit, just try to keep the patterns somewhat toned down.
Do – Pick one piece and go from there.
Don’t – Wear 10 nautical pieces at once!
So people, go sailing!
P.S. No sailboat required!
Illustration images via Pinterest