What: Korres Lip Butter (Plum)
Packaging: It comes in a cute small white colored jar. The color of the lid varies with the shade of the lip butter. I actually like the maroon and white color combination!
Review: It’s a lip butter with a tint. I bought the plum shade, but they are also available in many other shades like pomegranate, jasmine, quince, wild rose, mango etc. Choose the one you like. It’s a good lip butter and gives a nice subtle hint of color when applied. When applied, it makes my lips look naturally dark pink. The only drawback is that neither the color nor the balm stay on lips for more than 2 hours or so. The good part is that my lips do not feel dry or chapped when this product dries out. They feel soft. But yes, I can live without it and may not buy this again.
How I use it: I use it everyday in the morning. And apply it every 3 – 4 hours or whenever I have to look presentable but do not have the time to apply a lipstick. I keep it handy in my bag.
Price: It’s available for 12 USD. Buy it here.
Pros: Subtle hint of color
Cons: Does not last longer than 2 hours
image via Google Images
This post was long due.. I guess! I keep talking about the importance of acne free and clear skin on the blog and haven’t actually mentioned about what are the do’s and don’ts yet (according to my experiences). Though I did write about my skin routine recently (which keeps changing.. haha)! Please remember the fact that I am not a specialist in any way to claim what is right or wrong. I am only sharing what I have learned from following the advice of doctors, specialists, bloggers etc. and my own personal experiences! But trust me, what I am going to mention below really works. It’s no rocket science, just plain common sense and has worked wonders for me and may also help you! (plus there is no harm in trying, right?). So here it goes –
- First and foremost, I strongly suggest you to chuck out all the ‘foaming facewashes/cleansers’ from your bathroom. No matter what kind of skin you have (oily, normal, dry or combination), they do no good if your aim is to have clean, acne/blemish free facial skin. Opt for a cream/non-foaming cleanser instead. Something which doesn’t lather.
- Use a muslin cloth to wipe your face after cleaning. Please don’t use the same hand towel which everyone in the family uses after they wash their hands, feet, face etc. Ewww.. That is just plain gross! Always, always and always keep a separate face towel/muslin cloth for your face. Don’t wipe anything else with it, just your face and neck.
- Use a different facial cloth every day. Yes, every single day. Just like you shower everyday, eat food everyday, change your underwear everyday! I suggest buying good quality cloths in bulk and using a fresh and clean one everyday. At the end of the week (or whenever you do the laundry), just toss them all together in the washer/dryer and then re-use it. Easy, economic and hygienic.. huh!
- Ditch all your make-up cleansing wipes/towelettes. Go old school – use water. No matter how expensive those wipes are, they DO NOT clean your face properly. The best way is to clean your make up is with a good quality make up cleansing balm/oil (something like this).
- What if I told you – you haven’t been cleaning your face properly all this time.. all these years? Do you know the sunscreen doesn’t come off with just one wash? (yes, you may feel fresh and clean after lathering your face with a foaming facewash, but in reality it is only stripping your face from the essential oils and not actually cleaning it). I had the same shocking (WTF..??) expression when I first came to know about it. But then, I researched more and it’s actually true. A sunscreen is designed to stay on your face for longer hours. The more SPF the longer it stays. It’s like that water-proof makeup which needs extra attention and effort at the end of the day. So do yourself a favor and start cleansing your face twice in the evenings (or before going to bed). TWICE – yes, you read it right. And no, this won’t dry your skin since you won’t be using a foaming cleanser.
- Eye make-up (specially mascara and kohl) doesn’t clean in one cleanse. Specially when it’s water-proof. Use a water-proof eye makeup remover. Make sure it’s all off at the end of the day before applying your eye/facial creams. There is nothing worse than left over makeup. It only looks good in magazines (where they suggest to leave the eye-makeup on and wake up with a smudged look). But in reality it’s just plain gross, unclean and bad for your pores. So clean it ladies!
- Scrub those lips. Don’t just keep applying chapsticks and lipsticks on and on.. Scrub your lips at least twice in a week (thrice if you wear mostly red lipsticks). Moisturize your lips after scrubbing, it will prep them to look soft and plump!
These changes in my routine have really made huge difference in my skin tone and texture (which by the way feels like a baby’s bum these days.. no kidding – check the picture below)! Oh my god, I have so much more to talk about! So in the next beauty talk post, I will document a step by step procedure of properly cleaning the skin. Deal?
Till then.. have fun (and start looking up for cream/non-foaming cleansers).
I like to keep my day skin products different from my night skin products. And unlike most, I switch my products weekly. So if I used a particular moisturizer today, most likely I may use a different one next week. I like to keep my skin guessing, you know! It’s because your skin gets used to certain products just like your hair gets used to certain shampoos and do not show amazing results use after use.. Similarly like your body gets used to certain workouts and you may not see drastic changes after sometime if you keep doing the same exercises regularly.
I suggest to change your products often! Market is full of a-m-a-z-i-n-g skincare products and it would be nothing less than a crime to not try at least 1% of them! Anyways, so coming back to my day-time skin routine..
As soon as I wake-up, I splash cold running water all over my face. It helps me open up and gets rid of any puffiness. Then I walk around a little, drink a full glass of lukewarm water with half a lemon squeezed in it (works wonders), check messages, pack my lunch, get my clothes ready etc and then hop in to the shower.
While in the shower, I use Murad Clarifying Cleanser and Body Shop Grapefruit Shower Gel. After pat drying my face and body, I immediately apply Origins Starting Over oil free moisturizer on my face and neck while the skin is still damp, that way the moisturizer gets absorbed pretty quickly. I give it 3 – 4 minutes. In the meantime I apply CeraVe SA Renewing Cream all over my body (since my skin becomes extra dry during winters).
Then comes the Make-up – These days I am loving the Bobbi Brown Tinted Moisturizer. I apply it liberally all over my face and neck. It consists SPF 15 which is enough for me as I don’t spend a lot of time outdoors and even if they say Spring has sprung.. we are not seeing much of sun! For under eyes, I use the Bobbi Brown Corrector. I simply dab it with my ring finger gently. And then there are days when I don’t need it at all, it all depends on how better I slept and how much water I drank the previous day!
Lastly I apply Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Lip balm on my lips and finish off with a single coat of Maybelline Volum’ Express The Colossal Mascara in black. On days when I am going to be in lots of meetings, I like to swap the lip balm with this Korres tinted lip butter in Wild Rose.
So that’s it! What products do you use daily or would suggest me? Would love to know!
One of my colleague asked me the other day – If you have to wear just one make-up item specially when you are on the go, what would it be? My immediate reply was ‘a mascara’! Mascara to me is one thing which makes you look wide awake, makes you look put together without too much effort and is really quick to apply! And my favorite is Diorshow by Dior.
And if someone would have asked me this same question in my teens – my answer would have been a kohl pencil. I was sincerely committed to my kohl pencil back then! Nothing else, just that. I really like doing my eyes more! I have mentioned it (in detail) on the blog before that I believe in keeping my skin naturally glowing and radiant so that I don’t need a foundation/base on a daily basis.
I know some people will opt for a lipstick (may be even red) but for me, mascara it is.. Frankly I feel red lips require more time and focus since I dislike doing red lips with out a good lip liner. It just bleeds out or fades too soon and doesn’t feel well put together.
So tell me ladies, what is that one make-up item you can’t go without?